A Nixle alert was issued at approximately 2 p.m. Wednesday advising the public to avoid 43rd and 44th streets because of a structure fire that left those roads completely blocked off.
According to the San Angelo Fire Department Battalion Chief Ricky J. Long said a workshop (approximately 600 sq ft building) with welding supplies, raw fuels and containers located on West 44th Street, was on fire.
Engine 5 and Engine 6 responded to the scene. No one was in the building at the time, responding firefighters cut off the locks to the gate and to the door, in order to enter the premises and put out the fire.
Sixteen firefighters, three engines, a heavy size rescue and a medical unit were on scene the entire time. Rotating crews were in affect, rehabing those whom needed it because of the hot temperature outside.
Responding investigators and firefighters could be seen wearing required organic respirators (face pieces) because of raw fuel vapor, carbon monoxide that were left over from any hydro carbon fuel burning. The battalion chief said these face pieces help reduce and keep those working in the area from getting bad headaches from carbon monoxide indigestion after a fire.
No injuries were sustained, investigators were called to the scene to check the cause and reasoning for the fire. At this time no cause has been determined and remains under investigation.