The Prosper Police Department is investigating a report of a suspicious vehicle and driver who approached a child. According to Prosper police, there have been several incidents of this happening in the area recently.
Prosper is a town located in the Dallas/Fort Worth (Metroplex) area. The driver of the vehicle was described as a white male, approximately 50 years old, bald or balding. He was reported as wearing a white short sleeve T-shirt and dark baseball cap. The vehicle he was driving is described as a white, 2000-2008 four-door, possibly a Chevy Impala.
With the recent incidents this is an important time to remind parents how to keep children safe from strangers.
Police have these tips to keep children safe:
- Teach your children “Stranger Danger.” Teach them that any adult they don’t know well is a stranger, even if they look nice and to never go anywhere with a stranger.
- Avoid displaying a child’s name in plain sight. Children tend to trust people who know their names. If a child’s name is easily readable on their backpack or clothing, it makes it easier for strangers to approach them.
- Create an emergency card on a small business card, list the child’s emergency contacts, addresses and medical information and attach it to the inside of his or her backpack. Teach children to use this card in an emergency.
- Educate children about 9-1-1 to ensure they know when and how to call 9-1-1 for help and what their home address is. Turn your address into a song to help them memorize it.
- Sign up and create a Smart911 Safety Profile. Now you can provide 9-1-1 with the information they need to help any member of your family before an emergency happens. Go to smart911.com.