No charges for Charlotte police officer in the shooting death of Keith Lamont Scott

There will be no charges against the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department officer Brentley Vinson in the September shooting death of Keith Lamont Scott in University City, according to an announcement Wednesday by District Attorney Andrew Murray.

Scott was shot by Vinson Sept. 20 in a confrontation outside his apartment.

Murray issued a 22-page statement which said that evidence in the case shows Scott stepped out of his SUV with a gun in his hand and ignored at least 10 commands from five officers on the scene to drop the gun.

According to evidence presented, Scott drew the gun from an ankle holster when confronted by officers, then exited his vehicle, the statement said.

Additionally, Scott obtained the gun, which had been stolen in Gaston County, 18 days before the confrontation. The seller admitted to selling the gun recovered at the scene illegally to Scott.

One bullet was found in the chamber of the gun, the safety was off and Scott’s DNA was found on the grip and ammunition slide.

Vinson admitted to firing his weapon and shooting Scott from the onset and firearm analysis confirmed casings at the scene were from his gun.

Investigators interviewed numerous witnesses who said they saw the incident take place. Some gave conflicting statements, as well as statements that were unsupported by evidence, video or physical. Three of these witnesses claimed on social media or in media interviews Scott was unarmed. It was later determined that those individuals had not actually seen the shooting.

Additionally, the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation found that Scott was not reading or in possession of a book, as was previously reported, when he encountered law enforcement.