Medical examiner: Prince died from accidental overdose

The Midwest  Medical Examiner’s Office in Ramsey, Minnesota, has released its report on the death of musician Prince, who died April 21, 2016 at Paisley Park.

According to a press release from the office, Prince Rogers Nelson’s official cause of death, determined through an autopsy, was accidental fentanyl toxicity. The report said the singer self-administered fentanyl.

A geriatrician who had last treated Prince was questioned by police. Sources say Dr. Michael Schulenberg prescribed medication to the singer on April 20. Officials said Prince was found with painkillers when they responded to his death. It is unclear what drugs were prescribed or if Prince had taken the prescription.

The singer was cremated, according to the press release.

The ME’s office said they would make no further statements regarding its investigation into the death. The Carver County Sheriff’s Office continues to investigate.

prince 2