Joint Base Andrews under lockdown because of report of active shooter

UPDATE: The incident that occurred Thursday morning was cleared at 10:40 a.m. First responders determined there was no threat to the base.

A statement from Joint Base Andrews said the facility was scheduled to conduct a no-notice active shooter exercise in the late morning on the opposite side of the base. Reports of a mock active shooter situation at the medical facility were miscommunicated before the exercise was able to begin.

There was a misidentification of the security forces emergency services team who were conducting a routine inspection of the facility.

“Fortunately, this was not a life-threatening situation,” said Col. Brad Hoagland, 11th Wing and Joint Base Andrews commander. “We take all threats seriously and reacted to ensure the security of those on the base. I applaud the quick reaction of our first responders in keeping the safety of our JBA family a number one priority.In addition, we thank our local authorities for quickly standing by and offering their assistance.”

 

UPDATE: As of 9:42 a.m. (CST), the “all clear” had been given to Joint Base Andrews “with the exception of Malcolm Grow medical facility,” according to the facility’s Twitter account.

ORIGINAL STORY: Joint Base Andrews in Maryland tweeted Thursday morning that it is currently on lockdown because of a report of an active shooter.

The message advises all personnel to shelter in place.

A second tweet said the incident is ongoing at the Malcolm Grow Medical Facility and that first responders are on the scene.

An active shooter exercise was supposed to be held at 9 a.m. today at the base. There is no more information about when the lockdown began.

At 8:57 a.m. (CST), the base tweeted “There were reports of an active shooter incident on base at Malcolm Grow medical facility at approximately 9 a.m. today, June 30, 2016.”

This is a developing story. More information will be posted as it becomes available.