Frayed extension cord believed to be cause of Grape Creek Rd. fire

A frayed extension cord is believed to be the cause of a fire that happened Tuesday at a home on Grape Creek Road, according to a report from the Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office.

Firefighters from the Grape Creek Volunteer Fire Department worked to extinguish the fire late Tuesday afternoon. When crews arrived at the scene, they saw flames and smoke coming from the roof. Carlsbad and Water Valley volunteer firefighters responded to the incident as well.

Aaron Flint, Grape Creek Volunteer Fire Department, said at the scene that there were no flames inside the structure, most of the fire was on the exterior of the home. Crews did have to tear into the ceiling of the home to access the source of the heat, which Flint said was some appliances and tools the owner had stacked inside the attack.

No one was home at the time of the fire and there were no injuries.

Sgt. William Fiveash investigated the cause of the fire after firefighters extinguished the blaze. According to the report, Fiveash found an extension cord near the point of origin of the fire. The copper wire inside the cord was melted and the ends of the cord were a smooth rounded surface, the report stated. The cord was plugged in to a live electric socket.

The homeowner told Fiveash that his dog occasionally chewed on various hoses and wires outside the residence.

The report said that Fiveash believes the source was the damaged electric cord.