Fort Worth police officer shot during pursuit

7 p.m. UPDATE: Ed Russell McIver Jr. has been apprehended by law enforcement. He was arrested without incident.

Fort Worth police said there will be no further updates Tuesday night.


UPDATE: The Fort Worth police officer who was shot Tuesday while serving a felony warrant is alive and being treated for life-threatening injuries at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth.

A press conference was held at the hospital at approximately 4:45 p.m. Tuesday with the Fort Worth Chief of Police Dr. Joel Fitzgerald, Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price, JPS CEO Robert Earley and the Fort Worth Police Officers Association.

Limited information was given regarding the officer who was shot, but Fitzgerald asked the media to withhold personal information about the officer until it is released by the department. The suspect has been identified as 20-year old Ed Russell McIver Jr.


“The officer is alive. We’re happy for that.” Fitzgerald said. “We ask that his name not be released until his family is all notified. Please respect the family’s wishes.”

Fitzgerald said that all officers know what they sign up for, “But we don’t sign up to get shot.”

He said that there is an outstanding show of support and he asked anyone watching the press conference to make a phone call to give police information about the suspect.

“He is armed, he is dangerous.”  Fitzgerald said. “And we want to make sure he is brought to justice.”

According to a report, the Parker County Sheriff’s Office told media that the suspect who was killed is the fugitive suspect’s father, Ed Russell McIver Sr.

ORIGINAL STORY: A Fort Worth police officer has been shot, according to multiple media sources and the Fort Worth Police Department’s Twitter page.

Shortly after 3 p.m. Tuesday, media outlets began reporting a police shooting in Fort Worth. A tweet from the Fort Worth PD said, “Please pray One of own our has been shot. The Ofcr is enroute to the hospital with multiple gunshots.”

The next post from the FWPD confirmed that one suspect has been shot and one suspect is on the loose. Citizens in area of 2800 LongVue were asked by police to remain indoors and to call 911 if they see anything suspicious. The suspect who was shot has been confirmed dead.

The shooting happened when a joint task force were serving a warrant. The suspects fled from police before firing on officers. The officer who was shot is said to be fighting for his life. He suffered three gunshots to the chest and one to his leg. He is said to be in critical condition at John Peter Smith Hospital.

A live video feed on NBC DFW showed a helicopter coming to the scene and multiple police units on the ground near the Lost Creek Golf Course, in far west Fort Worth. Care Flight had a difficult time getting into the area to extract the wounded officer because it is reportedly heavily wooded.

The identity of the officer was not immediately given, however, it was confirmed that he has been with the FWPD since 2009. A police spokesperson, Tracey Knight, said the suspect is described only as a white male. She said that the officer who was shot was a member of a fugitive unit working on a joint task force with U.S. Marshal’s Office.

Knight said that further updates will be provided via Twitter: