Fort Worth officer who was shot serving warrant opens eyes


Officer Pearce Update

We have received permission from Officer Pearce’s wife to release the following Facebook post regarding his condition;

“Update: I am having a hard time posting this as I have yet to inform all our family of Matt’s status but I feel prayers are needed now for Matt. We suffered a pretty big setback. Matt’s abdominal incision came completely open during a coughing fit he had. Likely the fact that his gut was full of air contributed to this. He ended up having surgery and they cleaned out his gut and his abdominal cavity. To give him the best chance of healing, the doctor chose to leave his incision open with a wound vac and they will close it up in another day or so. Also, they did confirm he aspirated and they were able to do a bronchoscopy and wash out his lungs. Thank the Lord they didn’t take out his breathing tube today! Thank the Lord they were able to clean out his lungs! He will likely be back on sedation but I’m okay with that for now. Please now pray for his electrolytes as his numbers were off before this and pray that despite surgery they will improve. Also pray for infection to stay away and that the doctors will be able to close his belly without further complications. I love you all for praying for my husband and that he will be able to kiss his girls again. We were also able to bless Matt’s surgeon with an oreo cupcake too .”

ORIGINAL STORY: Fort Worth Police Officer Matthew Pearce has opened his eyes and was peering at his surroundings Monday, according to a post from his wife on the officer’s GoFundMe page.

Pearce was shot on March 15 when a traffic stop to serve felony warrants went awry. He suffered seven gunshots – one in the cheek, twice in the arm, twice in the chest and twice in the leg with one hitting his diaphragm and liver. His femur was fractured and his heart bruised –  after the joint task force he was working with attempted a traffic stop on Ed Russell McIver Sr.

According to Pearce’s wife: “Matt just opened his eyes and was looking around I didn’t want to bother him in case he wanted to go back to sleep, but he started moving his leg and figured he needed something. I went over and asked him if he was hurting and he shook his head no. I asked him if he was scared and he again said no. I told him where he was and what day it was and that I loved him. I told him they caught the guys he was chasing but didn’t go into details. He then closed his eyes and went back to sleep. What an ox. My husband is the greatest. ”

Pearce was one of the officers assigned to the fugitive unit and the U.S. Marshals Task Force located McIver Sr., a wanted felon. McIver Sr. was wanted on felony warrants that included aggravated assault – deadly weapon, aggravated assault – family violence and multiple warrants for bail jumping. McIver Sr. was killed in the events that unfolded that afternoon.

His son, Ed Russell McIver Jr., fled from the scene, prompting an extensive manhunt in the area. McIver Jr. was apprehended by law enforcement at approximately 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to the FWPD. He was then taken to 350 W. Belknap St. (police headquarters) for questioning by major case detectives and charged with criminal attempt capital murder, evading arrest and unlawful carrying of a weapon.