Family’s barbecue night ended up in smoke

A family’s evening barbecuing resulted in them having to call the San Angelo Fire Department Sunday.

SAFD received a call about a structure fire at approximately 4:30 p.m. Sunday at 1901 S. A&M Ave. Scanner traffic indicated that there were smoke coming out of the attic at the back corner of the house.

Firefighters were quickly at the scene, blocking of the intersection of Patrick Street and A&M.

Fire

According to SAFD Arson Investigator Thomas Truett, who arrived at the scene 4:42 p.m., the renter of the house had a small fire in an outdoor barbecue pit area, when they noticed smoke coming out of the chimney.

Fire

“Upon my investigation, I saw that the barbecue pit had a vent that went through the wall and into the chimney that is in the corner of the living room,” Truett said.

Fire

“Apparently some time in the age of the house a crack has been developed in that flue-space from the outdoor barbecue pit going into the inside chimney and allowed the fire to escape into the wall, starting the fire in that concealed space,” he continued.

Fire

According to Truett, this was just an accident caused by an old flue. At the time he gave the statement, the fire was still being put out. Firefighters managed to keep the damage centered to where the fire started and the smoke had slowed down significantly.

No injuries were reported. The family had safely evacuated the house by the time the firefighters arrived.