Sixty-seven dogs were killed in a fire Tuesday night at the Humane Society of Southeast Texas facility in Beaumont after a fire cause by a dryer in the facility’s laundry room.
According to a statement from Beaumont Fire-Rescue, firefighters responded to a structure fire at the facility, located at 2050 Spindletop Road, after a neighbor reported seeing flames coming from the building. When firefighters arrived on the scene, they saw flames and heavy smoke coming from the building.
Firefighters forced entry into the building and attacked the fire quickly. They were able to contain the blaze to two rooms, but the statement said there was heavy smoke damage throughout the building. As soon as it was possible, firefighters removed as many animals as possible out of the building. Along with shelter employees, firefighters moved the animals that were alive to a nearby building for treatment.
Smoke conditions in the rooms near the origin of the fire is said to be the cause of death of the dogs. The statement from Beaumont Fire-Rescue said that the fire originated in the laundry and was caused by a dryer.
The Humane Society of Southeast Texas issued the following statement on Facebook regarding the fire:
“It is with heavy hearts that we must inform you of the great loss we suffered tonight. Earlier this evening our facility caught on fire. Though the fire and police department did everything in their power to save all of our animals a total of 67 dogs died in the fire. There are no words to describe the pain we are feeling right now. Thank you to all of the staff, volunteers, veterinarians, and service men and women who came and assisted us tonight. We will be walking through the shelter in the morning to assess the damage and to make decisions on the best way to move forward.”
Eleven dogs survived the fire as well as all cats who were in the building. The dogs are undergoing treatment at a veterinarian clinic, according to the Humane Society.