Copperhead snake bites 2-year old at a Granbury daycare

Kiley Cook was on the playground at Rainbow’s Promise Daycare in Granbury, when she encountered a venomous copperhead snake.

According to The Dallas Morning News, the two-year old girl was bitten by a copperhead snake while she was playing at the daycare’s playground.

Kiley’s left hand began to swell and her finger turned black and she was flown to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth. She is recovering and did not succumb to the snake bite.

Tama Lofland, the daycare’s owner said this was the first time in nearly two decades something of this sort has happened.  She added employees check the playground for snakes, but will take extra precautions.

Snakes are becoming more active as weather and climate changes. The warmer the weather becomes, they emerge from a hibernation state known as brumation.

Depending on the type of snake, effects of a snakebite varies from swelling up to death. Experts recommend leaving any snake alone if you come across them.