As a manhunt continues for the gunman responsible for the Istanbul massacre that left at least 39 people dead, a Delaware man who was wounded in the attack is telling his story of survival.
William Jacob Raak, 35, was the only U.S. citizen injured in the shooting on New Year’s Eve, according the the State Department.
Raak said he survived the attack by playing dead, not making a sound or moving, even after being shot in the leg.
“When he shot me I didn’t move — I just let him shoot me,” Raak told NBC News. “I was shot when I was already on the ground. He was shooting people that he had already shot. I just let him shoot me. You have to stay as calm as you can… I took a bullet.”
On Monday, the Islamic State claimed responsibility of the deadly attack.
The gunman’s bullet in the hip and traveled through his leg to his knee, but failed to hit any major blood vessels. Doctors removed the bullet and Raak is expected to be able to return the the U.S. within a few days.
Raak called himself “the luckiest person in the whole thing” considering he was surrounded by dying people.